Kohl’s West End Grocery and gas station, northwest corner of West Malone and South Wentz Streets, looking east, circa 1950. Long before modern convenience stores, this popular neighborhood store carried a wide variety of groceries, produce and farm supplies, had Shell gasoline and kerosene pumps and even boasted a fresh meat counter. George Kohl bought the property and opened the store in 1917. After George died in 1922 his son, Edward, ran the store until his death in 1953. Ed’s wife, Doris, and their sons, Russell and Roger Kohl, continued operating the store until 1964. Doris Kohl was also a popular teacher in the Macon Public School system for many years. A car is visible fueling at Kohl’s only pump just to the right of the sidewalk next to Malone Street. Also, Macon’s water tower is visible at the northeast corner of West Malone and South Allen Streets.